If you are looking for a line of credit with a quick and easy application process, then Group One Platinum may be the card for you.
Group One Platinum is an unsecured catalog card issued by Horizon Card Services, available to individuals with unsatisfactory credit or no credit at all.
While there is no need for a credit or employment check to get approved, the Group One freedom card does have a monthly fee which may not be an option for everyone.
Who is the Group One Platinum Card for?
The Group One Platinum merchandise credit card is ideal for people with imperfect credit scores or no credit history.
As long as you have a debit card or a credit card, you can apply for their line of credit.
As Group One reports to a major credit bureau, you can hopefully start rebuilding your credit provided you pay your monthly balance in full each month.
Is Group One Platinum Legit?
Yes, it is a legitimate card and has been available to consumers since 2006.
Group One Platinum is also a part of Horizon Card Services, which offers various credit products on the market. They are, however, not a credit services organization.
The Group One Platinum card is categorized as a retail card, not a credit card.
You get access to a $750 unsecured line of credit with 0% interest. While there is a monthly fee, the card does provide membership benefits in return.
Where Can I Use My Horizon Platinum Card?
Unfortunately, one of the card’s limitations is that it can only be used for purchases made at the Horizon Outlet.
On the bright side, the Horizon Outlet does carry a large variety of items in multiple categories, such as;
- Apparel (women, men’s, kids, baby)
- Seasonal items
- DIY and creative items
They even have auto finance options on their website.
So if you enjoy shopping from home, need to rebuild your credit, and can afford the monthly fee, then this may be the card for you.
Group One Platinum Card Details
Before applying for any card, it is important to familiarize yourself with the card’s details, and there are always advantages and drawbacks to consider.
Let’s review the pros vs. cons of the Group One Platinum card.
- Reports to at least one credit bureau: At a minimum, the card issuer will report your new account and payment history to one of the three major credit bureaus.
- Unsecured credit card: Group One Platinum is an unsecured line of credit; no down payment is required before purchasing on the Horizon Outlet website. You get a $750 line of credit upon application approval.
- Easy approval: The Group One Freedom card is geared toward people with little to bad credit. The application is fast and easy, provided you have an active and valid debit or credit card. No employment or credit check is required.
- Activation fee: There is no account activation fee.
- No APR: The Group One card has a 0% annual APR.
- Card Benefits: The monthly membership fee includes up to 50% off at pharmacies, Credit Hawk monitoring, roadside assistance, and access to the My legal assistance benefit.
- High Fees: The Group One Platinum card has a variety of different fees which can add up. There is an annual fee invoiced every month or a monthly maintenance fee if your account becomes inactive.
- Usage fees: Group One Platinum also charges a residential delivery fee and a signature verification fee for deliveries over $200. You can also expect some purchase processing fees.
- A debit card or credit card required: To process your application and for ongoing use of the card, you must have an active debit card or credit card.
- Limited use: Your store card can only be used for purchases made through the Horizon Outlet, which can be limiting depending on your spending habits and needs.
If you are still undecided, Group One Platinum does offer a 7-day risk-free trial.
Minimum Monthly Payment
While it is always best to pay the balance in full, if you do need to carry a balance, the minimum monthly payment is 10% of the Horizon Outlet balance or $25 (whichever amount is highest).
By paying your bill on time, you are actively working towards building or repairing your credit score.
What are the Group One Platinum Card Fees?
While the Group One Platinum card has no monthly interest rate, it does have quite a few different fees.
It is important to understand the detailed costs before applying for any new cards.
Here is a list of fees for the Group One Platinum card:
- Annual membership fee: $177.24 (invoiced at $14.77 per month)
- $2.00 for each residential delivery
- $3.50 for signature verification for deliveries on order over $200
- Purchase processing fees (fees will vary)
- $6 monthly maintenance fee for inactive accounts
Can Group One Platinum Help Build Credit?
As the Group One Freedom card reports to a major credit bureau, proper use of the card can help build or help rebuild your credit.
As with all lines of credit and credit cards, improper use can significantly affect your credit.
While there is no interest on your loan, paying your bill in full each billing cycle is important. Make a purchase, pay it off on time, build your credit!
Group One Platinum FAQ
With a monthly membership fee and recurring fees, the Group One Platinum may not be the best fit for everyone.
However, if the benefits package includes services you will use, the fees may pay for themselves.
To make the most informed decision, review some alternative cards which can also help you build your credit score.
Similar Group One Platinum Articles
About the author
Clara is the founder of Credit Rise Up, an entrepreneur, personal finance expert, and credit repair enthusiast. She’s committed to helping her readers get on the right track and take actionable steps towards improving their credit by using the experience that allowed her to join The 800 Club. Find out more.